Thursday 13 October 2016

Skincare Staples & Suggestions.

"It's just a spot", she said, "you're a teenager, you'll get a few over the next few years but they'll disappear". Lies, Mother, LIES. This was some ten years ago, yet I still have a daily struggle with my skin. I don't plan on tells you all my skin story just yet (but just a heads up: don't take roaccutane). After ten years of diets, doctors visits and a few tears at how I wished and wished I could scratch off my skin, things are finally looking up. I'm no Phoebe Tonkin, the babe who only leaves her house in mascara or red lipstick, but I seem to have finally found products that, shock horror, actually work on me.

  • St Ives Blemish Fighting Apricot Scrub and St Ives Green Tea Blackhead Clearing Scrub: WHY DID I NOT START USING THIS EARLIER. I now alternate between the two of these, using them during my evening skincare routine, but it was using the apricot scrub that finally started the longth and length process of getting clear skin. The apricot scrub really does completely unclog your skin but doesn't leave it feeling red raw, just completely clean! I noticed a difference after a couple of days. The St Ives Green Tea scrub is much more subtle, which is why I like to alternate between the two. As well as target blackheads, it claims to help with redness, and I can totally vouch for that. I've barely even reached for my green colour correcting concealer since using this. 
  • Simple Spotless Skin Triple Action Face Wash: If there was a holy grail product, this is it. I've always liked Simple, but have never found anything that I'd constantly repurchase, until I found this. I bought this while suffering from quite a bad hormonal breakout, but this completely cleared it up! I wouldn't say it works as well with spots that are deep under the skin, so not one for those of you that suffer from cystic acne, but you get a lot of white heads, then this is definitely one for you. You really do see results in 24 hours.
  • Clinique All About Eyes Serum: I can't quite decide whether I am a raging insomniac or can just survive off of very little sleep. I feel fine after sleeping for three hours, but I don't exactly look it. I get bags. Bad ones - like, I actually look like I've been punched in the fact half the time because of how blue they are. One thing I have managed to crack is the puffiness which thanks to this product, has slowly disappeared. I sometimes find myself absentmindedly rolling this on just because of how cooling it is and relaxed it makes me feel. 
    • Clinique Liquid Facial Soap: I wouldn't necessarily use this as a product that I thought was going to help clear my acne but, in the long run, I do feel like it makes a difference, mainly because of how clean it leaves my skin feeling. The fact that it's fragrance free is an added bonus.
    • Clarins HydraQuench Moisturiser: This is hands down one the best moisturisers I've ever used and it's not one that is going to completely break the bank either. I tend to buy the smallest bottle possible as a little goes a long way with this. A tiny dot will leave your skin feeling hydrated and, unlike a lot of moisturisers I've used, it won't feel like you're skin is drinking it all up. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, I'd suggest Simple Kind to Skin or True Essentials, or Clinique if you're looking for something a little more expensive ....
    • Clinique SPF: Can you tell I grew up in a household full of Clinique products? I have now followed both my Grandmother's and my Mother's lead, and my bathroom is also fastly becoming a Clinique counter. This is my go to face SPF as it doesn't leave me looking shiny or have that typical SPF smell and actually has a bit of coverage too! I always make sure to apply this under my make-up too, as I find it makes a great primer. 
    • Garnier Micellar Water: I think everyone's dreams came true when Garnier announced they were releasing Micellar water for all skin types. I picked this up for combination skin and, though it's not the best at removing mascara, it is easily the best make-up remover I've ever tried.

    Suggestions wise, I'd say avoid foams like the plague, mainly because that's what the Goddess that is Caroline Hirons said, and also soaps (no one wants wash their face with soap - think of the germs that would start to build up!). Another would be, it may seem hard but, unless it immediately messes with your skin, try to trial skincare for about three months, just to give it a chance. Do what works for you, only you know what your skin is really life and what lies underneath all the make-up, though I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. They are life-changing and really are looking to help.

    What skincare do you use?
    Let me know in the comments below!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment